Loop Back: The Former Bachelor Farmer
Though it was transformed into the highly-acclaimed Bachelor Farmer restaurant, Marvel Bar and Bachelor Cafe, the historic building at 200 North 1st Street spent most of its first 110+ years as a manufacturing and warehousing facility.
Built in 1881 with an addition in 1902, one of its first tenants (if not THE first) was the North Star Carriage Works, operated by James Iverson and Sons.
For many decades, starting in the early 1900s, it was a warehouse for the Northwestern Hide and Fur Company. Ads in the 1920s urged trappers, hunters and farmers to ship their hides, pelts, furs and wool to this address to get the “highest price” in return.
In the 1970s, the building was used as a warehouse for the Coal Burning Equipment Company and the Maintenance Service Company.
Brothers Eric and Andrew Dayton opened Bachelor Farmer in 2011. In its first year, the restaurant not only received rave reviews, it also welcomed a U.S. President. Barack Obama stopped in for a meal while on a Minnesota visit in May 2012.
The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in early 2020 forced the Daytons to close all three businesses in this building.