Love The Loop? Here’s Your Chance To Get Involved
Ever wonder why the North Loop has such fun events, Instagram & Facebook accounts, website, clean-up projects and other community-building efforts that other neighborhoods don’t have?
It’s because we have dedicated volunteers serving with the North Loop Neighborhood Association. And we need more!
We’re seeking candidates to serve on the NLNA board for 2023-24. Here’s what you need to know:
Who can be on the board? Any North Loop resident, property owner, business owner or business representative who’s passionate about helping this neighborhood and willing to volunteer their time.
If I’m elected, what’s expected of me? You’ll attend one meeting a month (the last Wednesday night of each month). And you’ll be expected to contribute 15-20 hours each month, assuming NLNA responsibilities and participating in neighborhood events and initiatives.
What kinds of things can I help with? You choose:
- Communications (contributing to our website, Instagram, Facebook, newsletter)
- Business connections (help us connect with—and advocate for—North Loop businesses)
- Safety & Livability (connect with City and County departments, MPD, local businesses and others to assure a neighborhood safe for all, including safe streets and crime prevention)
- Neighborhood planning (we’re looking for someone with interest in and knowledge of Minneapolis/North Loop development, planning and zoning from the perspective of City regulations/process, architecture/design, developers, etc.)
- Event planning (for things like our Food Truck Fair, Candy Grab, Halloween, National Night Out, etc.)
- Finance (manage NLNA finances and connect with City offices to assure we’re operating according to City requirements)
- Secretary (oversee board operations, assuring agendas and minutes are prepared and disseminated, bylaws are upheld, board records maintained and annual elections properly managed)
- Parks & Placemaking (work with neighborhood volunteers, businesses and property owners, and City and County departments to continue building a cleaner, greener, more livable environment)
- Civic Engagement (work to build an informed and active commitment to protecting the quality of life of all residents and making a difference in our community)
When is the election? At our annual meeting, Wednesday, January 25th. And for the first time, it’s at the beautiful Fillmore concert venue. It starts with Happy Hour at 5:30 followed by the meeting at 7:00.
How do I get on the ballot? Submit your entry form by January 18th.
Do I need to give a speech? No, but you’ll be asked to submit a video (no more than 60 seconds long) introducing yourself and briefly explaining why you’re interested in serving.
How many positions are open? Six of our 11 board seats will be up for election—and 3 incumbents are running for re-election so we’re guaranteed to have at least 3 newcomers.
Who gets to vote at the annual meeting? Any North Loop resident, property owner, business owner or business representative. So invite your North Loop friends!