Metro – 35W@94 Downtown to Crosstown in Minneapolis: 2017-2021 construction
In this update
We have several upcoming road and ramp closures that will impact travel in and around I-35W. Stay updated, plan ahead and consider alternative routes and ways to get around!
- I-94 weekend closure scheduled June 8-11
- Access to/from downtown and I-35W closes June 8
- Ramp closures beginning June 8: 31st St. ramps on I-35W; 35th St. to northbound I-35W; and eastbound I-94 to southbound I-35W
- Northbound I-35W overnight closure June 10
Details on these closures are provided below.
I-94 weekend closure June 8-11
To accommodate bridge and road demolition in the I-35W and I-94 junction, there will be a weekend closure of I-94 between I-394 and I-35W starting 10 p.m. Fri, June 8 through 5 a.m. Mon, June 11.
During this weekend closure, access to/from downtown and I-35W will also be closed – see details below.
Access to/from downtown and I-35W closes June 8
Beginning on Fri, June 8, access from northbound I-35W to downtown (11th St./Grant St./5th Ave.) and access from downtown (12th St./4th Ave.) to southbound I-35W will be closed. The northbound access will reopen in fall 2018; however, the southbound access will remain closed through fall 2021.
Ramp closures beginning Fri, June 8
- The ramp from northbound I-35W to 31st St./Lake St. is scheduled to close to motorists on Fri, June 8 and remain closed through fall 2018. Also, the ramp from 31st St. to southbound I-35W will close on Friday, June 8, but will remain closed through fall 2021. Note: From June 8 through fall 2018, buses will be able to use both ramps.
- The ramp from 35th St. to northbound I-35W will close on Fri, June 8 at 10 p.m. The ramp will remain closed through fall 2021. We need to close this ramp to help the transit buses to safely and efficiently exit I-35W to 31st St. Buses are using the 31st St exit to access Park Ave/Portland Ave. while the access to/from downtown and I-35W is closed. The detour route is to continue on 35th St. to Nicollet Ave. to E Diamond Lake Rd.
- The ramp from eastbound I-94 to southbound I-35W will close Fri, June 8 and remain closed through fall 2021. This ramp needs to remain closed through fall 2021 for a couple reasons:
- In addition to this ramp being fully reconstructed, prior to the reconstruction of the ramp, there are additional construction activities in the I-35/I-94 junction that need to happen and will be in full swing starting in mid-June.
- Highway lanes will be reduced and shifted at various times and construction of the new ramp piers would not allow traffic to be safely switched around.
Northbound I-35W overnight closure June 10
Beginning 10 p.m. Sun, June 10 northbound I-35W will be closed between Hwy 62 and I-94 until 5 a.m. Mon, June 11. Motorists should follow the posted detour using eastbound Hwy 62 to northbound Hwy 55 back to northbound I-35W.
During the closure, crews will be moving barrier and restriping the northbound lanes between 26th St. and the 3rd St. exit to add a third lane that will help accommodate traffic during the closure of access from northbound I-35W to downtown.
Upcoming closures next weekend June 15-18
We have more closures happening next weekend, more details to come next week.
More about this project
To learn more, including all current traffic impacts and detour routes, visit the project website at: www.mndot.gov/35w94.
Metro Transit bus routes will be impacted as a result of construction. For updated route information, and to sign up for Rider Alerts, visit: www.metrotransit.org/35W.
Minnesota Valley Transit Authority routes will be impacted as a result of construction. For updated route information, visit: www.mvta.com.
- Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/mndot and Twitter: @mndotnews
- Email the project team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the project hotline at: 612-284-6125
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota visit: http://www.511mn.org/or dial 5-1-1.
MnDOT • mndot.gov